The Hollands Avenue area is part of the former Cooper’s Dairy at 197 Livingstone Road, Marrickville which was established in 1879. The dairy had a mixture of Guernsey and Jersey cows. The property stretched
from St Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church on Livingstone Road up to the former Carmelite Convent on
Wardell Road and from Challis Avenue in the south to Marrickville Road in the north.
The farm consisted of the Cooper’s house including three tennis courts. Cooper built five tennis courts in the
area before selling in 1928. The Marrickville Council purchased the area relating to Hollands Avenue and then sold it on to a local building developer Mr Hollands who constructed the present development. The Marrickville Girls’ Club was built in 1944.
|PRICE OF MILK. (1930, November 21). Windsor and Richmond Gazette |
(NSW : 1888 - 1954),
p. 1. Retrieved September 29, 2012,